Saturday, October 31, 2015

Turning the Clock Back

Instead of doing the Halloween or something scary theme, I thought I'd do something else that's appropriate for this October 31. It's time to turn the clock back...

I recently showed off a few cards that had been purchased with my COMC credit and noted that I still had some credit remaining. So last weekend I got on their site to see what other goodies I might find. 
Okay, I'll do it: it was a little like trick or treating. Only I didn't have to dress up.

If you're like me, you probably use 'free money' to look for things that you might not normally spend your card budget on. It's not like these cards aren't worthy of my hard earned cash, it's just that I rarely spend $8 or more on inividual cards- being on a pretty limited card budget and all. And so this was a perfect opportunity to look at some autographs from Topps Archives.

Rather than going the baseball route, I decided that I would look for some former Seahawk greats. One in particular (Jim Zorn) was on my radar.

There were two Zorn cards that grabbed my attention: the 1997 Upper Deck NFL Legends autographed card and the 2013 Topps Archives auto. As much as I like the Upper Deck card, I had to go with Archives and its tribute to the 1979 Topps set. The '79 design is one of my favorites and, being in a somewhat nostalgic mood lately, I knew I'd regret it if I had gone with the other card.




I still had some credit left in my account after the seller accepted my offer so I decided to add an auto of another former Seahawk, John L. Williams.




Williams currently stands in fifth place on the team's list for all-time leading rushers. While he wasn't a spectacular back, he was a solid one- averaging 3.99 yards per carry over his 8 seasons in the pacific northwest. As far as the card, it was an easy choice for me because it fit into the remaining money in my account and because I really like the 1990 Topps design. It fits into the catagory of underappreciated designs, imo. 

Thanks for reading, don't overdose on the candy and don't forget to set your clocks back tonight.






No comments:

Post a Comment