Friday, November 27, 2015

The Look

I have had a number of changes in recent weeks in how I "do the hobby." My collecting habits for the time being have shifted more towards football, I have adjusted the amount I budget for cards (scaling back on costs) and I have tried to move away from purchasing on eBay- using Sportlots instead.

My most recent Sportlots purchase arrived last week, and my excitement was soon brought down a notch.


The first thing I noticed as I began thumbing through the stack of cards were the facial expressions on the three cards from the 1987 set. If I were asked to describe the looks in one word it would have to be "Intense."





Though I can't see their facial expressions, I'm sure that Curt Warner and David Hughes each had an  intense look on their face.




As I mentioned earlier, my excitement at this point soured as I got to card number four.

I had ordered card number 196 from the 1985 Topps NFL set, featuring the leaders in interceptions during the 1984 season. One of the two players on the card was a Seahawk legend, Kenny Easley. Instead, I got this card...


That look when you discover the seller sent the wrong. freaking. card.

I soon got over the error and moved on to the rest of the package.



Another card to feature an appearance by one of my childhood favorites- Jim Zorn.






While he was not a very well known name, David Hughes was another of my favorites. The back played collegiately at Boise State, helping lead the then I-AA Broncos to the National Championship during his senior season (1980). Hughes was the 31st overall pick in the 1981 NFL Draft and would spend five seasons in Seattle before finishing his career with the Steelers.






More intense looks...




It took me a couple of days, but I finally got the time to contact the seller and explain the card I received in error- Ken was gracious enough to send out the replacement immediately, and it arrived in the mail three days ago.



My look turned from the frown of Easly, to the satisfied look of Flynn.


2 comments:

  1. Well...I can't help with football at all but a small Braves package went out to you this morning actually. I do hope there is a card or two new to your collection. Have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool- I'm looking forward to receiving the package! I also have some for you but have been lazy in doing any trading lately. Will have to get it prepared to send out.

      Delete