Monday, December 21, 2015

Card(io) Workout

How important is good health to you? Do you watch your diet, get proper sleep and take time out of your day for exercise? If you listen to the experts, one of the best things you can do for a sound mind and body is cardio vascular exercise. They are good for weight loss, the building of muscle, a healthy heart and, because of the endorphins which are released, improves one's mood. 


If I'm completely honest with you, my diet isn't what it should be and I only get about 6 hours of sleep per night (which I feel is plenty for me), but I do get plenty of walking in each day. A lot of it comes at work, but my doctor has told me isn't the kind of walking I need because of the stressful environment. (We do get in quite a bit of walking as a family, so there's that). I really have no excuse for the diet thing and I figure I'll get plenty of rest when I die. But exercise? Pfft. Not interested. Hopefully it's not due to being lazy? Not only do I get a lot of walking in at work, but I also do quite a bit of lifting, squatting and bending over there (insert joke here). Look- I'm 5'8", 160 lbs and have not had many health issues in my 46+ years, so let's just say that I'm not overly concerned at this point in my life.


There's no denying, however, my laziness when it comes to trade posts. They should be the easiest posts to write, but for some reason they're the most difficult for me. It should be as easy as "here are some cards that ______ shipped me. Aren't they great?" Major exercising of the brain isn't really required. But there are so many great blogs out there and at times I feel as if I have to keep up with the Jones'. That's what happens when your'e a super competitive person.

Anyway, I have three piles of cards on my bookcase that had been sent to me by fellow bloggers and I figured it's time to get off my butt and get a little card-io workout in.

First on the list is Jim from the recently-retired blog Garvey-Cey-Russell-Lopes. I contacted Jim a few months ago to see it he was in need of a Double Play ice-cream box that featured a picture of the Steve Garvey card from the set. I had purchased the box for the Dale Murphy card and found a use for the rest of the box. About a month ago an envelope from Jim showed up in the mailbox with 8 Chipper Jones cards- six of which I did not have in my collection!



The second envelope to have arrived came via Jeff at 2x3 Heroes as part of his Club PWE. Jeff included a little more diversity in his envelope (not that I'm complaining about 9 Chippers from Jim!): 12 cards featuring 9 different Braves. Among these were three that were brand new to my eyes:



I've decided that card(io) isn't enough for good, healthy card habits, so we're going to do a little weight training... 

Julie- from A Cracked Bat- provided me with a pretty good stack that truly was worth its weight in gold. Heck, it would have with just one card alone- this autographed Dale Murphy #/91. What it's from, I have no idea; but there is a serial-numbered sticker of authenticity on the back. 



Whew. Talk about sweatin'!! 

For the post workout meal, I consumed some more of the cardboard sent my way from Julie. I'll just show a few here, but included in the group were a whole bunch of Braves from this year's Gypsy Queen, some Andruw Jones, John Smoltz and Greg Maddux. 





I guess the worst part of a trade post is just making a commitment to do it- once you begin the exercise of writing, it's not so bad. I wonder if the same goes for getting to the gym for a little exercise?


Thanks again, Jim, Jeff and Julie (hey, I never noticed the alliteration until just now!!) for all the great stuff.







4 comments:

  1. I used to rarely exercise and eat whatever I wanted. My health was good so there were no concerns. Then I was told I was diabetic. I started exercising and watching my diet. I'm not as stringent as I was when I first got the diagnosis a few years ago, but the exercise has stayed -- I'm now at the point where I need to do it. So, yeah, the answer is, it does get easier once you've started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get my butt in gear and exercise, definitely. With cards like that in the mailbox, it's worth several trips back and forth there.

    That said, I don't think the walk to the mailbox is quite far enough to count as "exercise" for me. :-)

    That 1987 Topps Murphy is just flat out awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Info on the Dale Murphy - it's a Topps Originals (buyback inserted into 2004 Topps packs). Cool card:

    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/04-topps-originals-autograph-dale-470650109

    http://www.beckett.com/baseball/2004/topps-originals-signature/dmu9-dale-murphy-8791-4887968

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sir, for your investigative work!

      Delete