Sunday, January 24, 2016

Countdown to 2016 Topps #10: Which Do You Prefer?

Seattle fans must still be shaking their heads over the trade that sent Adam Jones and four other players to Baltimore for Erik Bedard. No disrespect to Bedard- he certainly wasn't a horrible pitcher for the M's, it's just that he couldn't stay on the field for them. After finishing in second place with 88 wins, management was convinced that he would be the ace they needed to put them over the top in the American League West. Instead, he pitched in 15 games in '08, 15 games in '09, missed all of 2010 and appeared in 16 games for them in '11 before being traded. During those four seasons, Seattle went 274-374. Meanwhile, #10 for Baltimore has appeared in 5 All-Star Games, won 4 Gold Gloves and 1 Silver Slugger. Given a choice between Jones and Bedard, I'm choosing the former. We're down to Ten days until 2016 Topps.


I seem to be one of the few collectors who actually likes variations. Not the colored parallels- I can't stand those. I'm talking photo variations. I've thought it out and the only explanation I can give is that I love stories and, as Rod Stewart once sang, every picture tells a story. Colored borders don't.
























Nearly three years ago, during the week of February 20, 2013, Billboard announced that 'Ten', the landmark debut album from Seattle rock band Pearl Jam, had entered the 10 million-seller club. I've never been a big fan of the band- although I am a big fan of some of their stuff. I was one of the ten million album sells, having bought it back in '92. I had also bought the followup album, Vs. I currently own just one album of theirs (Rearviewmirror (Greatest Hits: 1991-2003) but if I were to go out and purchase another of their albums, I think it would be not Ten- but Ten Redux, which includes not only remixed versions of their classic debut album, but six other cuts not included in the original. Two of those tracks, Breath and a Scream and State of Love and Trust are two of my favorite songs of the band.


Breath and a Scream, which appears on Ten Redux as a demo, would later be re-recorded for the Singles soundtrack and then appear on Rearviewmirror.




1 comment:

  1. I would be far more into variations if they were less expensive. The way I look at it: Variations are, for all intents and purposes, a different card with the same card #, while parallels are just the same card with a different colored border or a shiny finish. Sometimes the parallel is nicer than the base, but for the most part I can take or leave 'em.

    ReplyDelete