Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Countdown to 2016 Topps #21: May the Forsch Be With You

I've never been much of a fan of the Star Wars franchise. Sure, I've seen all the movies (save The Force Awakens- I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD) but not because I was interested in seeing them as much as a) it was thing to do when I was a kid, and b) I took my boys to The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. I'd rather spend my time on and focus on baseball cards. Today's countdown takes us back a long time ago and a uniform far out and crazy...





Just because I'm not a fanboy of Star Wars doesn't mean I didn't hear the rumblings about Disney's reported decision to retire the sexy Princess Leia 'slave' bikini costume. There was a time (like when I was 14) when that scene would be enough to draw me to the theatre. I'm older now and don't have to be a slave to my lusts (or bought by titillating costumes). But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a sexy costume uniform. And they don't come any sexier than the Astros' Tequila Sunrise.





Want me to drop some more fanboy knowledge on ya? On May 25, 1977 (the release date of Star Wars- BOOM!), Ken recorded his 4th save of the season in a road game against the Dodgers. Forsch pitched 1.2 innings and recorded 2 strikeouts against Jabba the Hutt's goons.


Though a starter for most of his career, Ken spent five seasons during the '70s as a relief pitcher and had decent success. His greatest moment, however, came on April 7, 1979, when the 6'4" righty no-hit the Atlanta Braves in his first game of the season. In doing so, he joined Bob Forsch (who threw two for the St Louis Cardinals) as the only brothers to throw no-hitters in the majors.


3 comments:

  1. "I've never been much of a fan of the Star Wars franchise"

    UNFOLLOW! :)

    The 70's and windbreakers under the uniform - those were the good ol' days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love me some Star Wars. Anyways... that same day... the Twins played a double header in Boston and Rod Carew went 7 for 11 in those two games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sexiest colors ever! Keep talkin'!

    ReplyDelete