Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Countdown to 2016 Topps #22: The Predecessor





They say it's tough being the guy who follows a legend. I can imagine that it's also pretty tough being the guy who precedes a legend. Don Majkowski was a Pro-Bowl quarterback and is a member of the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame- but he'll always be remembered as the guy that Brett Favre replaced.

On the diamond, I guess you could say that John Wetteland is to Mariano Rivera what the Majic Man was to Favre; he will always be known as the guy who preceded Rivera. And that's too bad because Wetteland, the 1996 World Series MVP, was named the Rolaids Reliever of the Decade for the 90s after recording more saves than any other reliever during the decade. He is also one of only a few pitchers to record over 40 saves for three or more teams (Jeff Reardon being the first, I believe, followed by Wetteland).






As I look at the card, a few things strike me: the blue skies and clouds have me yearning for spring time and the beginning of a new season; the angle makes Wetteland seem larger than life; the Expos- the Nats suck, but who couldn't like Montreal?



No comments:

Post a Comment