Monday, January 4, 2016

Countdown to 2016 Topps #30: Olan Mills

A few years ago I started a second blog (Baseball Picture Cards) that was going to be my attempt at blogging cards of non-Braves. One of the first (and only) features I put on there was a countdown to the release date of 2013 Topps Series 1. The blog was short lived, but the series was fun and required a lot of searching out of cards whose number corresponded with the countdown. And with 2016 Topps Series 1 due out February 3, I decided to bring the series back...












It didn't take too terribly long to settle on card number 30 on our countdown. I passed a Hank Aaron and an Eddie Mathews before stumbling across this beauty. I mean, is there anything sweeter than the classic 'hand-on-the-chin' pose? Was Olan Mills in business way back in 1959? A quick trip over to google tells me it was but, unfortunately (thankfully?) it's no longer operating.



Anyway, another thing that contributed to this honorary place is that chaw that's ever so visible in Nellie's left cheek. We don't get those type of shots anymore- I guess players feel their health is more important than the whimsical musings of a collector.

It still doesn't top the '85 Topps Gary Pettis card. But that card is legendary and would be difficult to top. Even for a Hall of Famer such as Fox.


2 comments:

  1. Olan Mills equates to high school memories. Can't tell you how many times I went and took pictures with friends. It's sad to hear that they're no longer around. As for the Nellie... great looking card... as is the 85T Pettis. Looking forward to #29.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MAN! I just looked up the 85 Pettis. I need that one, hopefully I can get one signed. He's our 3B coach here in Houston. That is some glorious cardboard.

    ReplyDelete