Thursday, March 3, 2016

Crazy Trade, Baby

Crazy, but that's how it goes...

Check any given card blog and you're probably going to see a list of other blogs ('nightly reading')- a majority of which are dedicated to baseball cards. But that doesn't mean that those collectors blog exclusively about baseball cards; to the contrary, a number of them also feature one of the other sports from time to time. And then there are some blogs, such as The Writer's Journey, where the topics range from music to movies, books, as well as baseball cards.

 I became aware of TWJ about two or three years ago and it has become one of my favorite blogs to read. Some of my favorite entries from JT come in the form of music previews and reviews- both concerts and albums. He also does some great custom music trading cards (he killed it with the '76 TWJ Joe Walsh). More recently, JT featured some MusiCards from the 1991 Pro Set Super Stars set- one of which was former Ozzy Osborne guitarist Zakk Wylde. I had commented on needing to find one of those and JT was kind enough to offer to send one, as well as some other cards, my way. 

An envelope showed up a few days later chocked-full of crazy cards.







Zakk was all of about 20 years-old when he recorded his first studio album with Ozzy Osbourne (1988's No Rest for the Wicked). While he may be best known for his work with the Prince of Darkness and Black Label Society (think Black Sabbath on steroids), I prefer Zakk's solo album (Book of Shadows) and the lone album from his Pride and Glory supergroup. Both showcase his versatility as a musician and are more along the lines of southern rock and those classic rock artists that influenced him.












Speaking of guitar gods, here's Yngwie- doing his best Jimi Hendrix impersonation. I'm not much of a fan of the neo-classical style, but there are a few songs in his catalog that I like. I can only listen in limited amounts. This has me thinking of starting a mini collection of 'guitar gods' I've seen Jimmy Page (one of my biggest musical influences) has a couple Pro Set cards. WE NEED A PRO SET COMEBACK!!






Whereas Zakk, whose pants are chest-high, looks like he belongs on a card from the 70s, the Living Colour card looks right at home on something from the early 90s. You remember the 80s and 90s, with all the bright colors and the fashion that's well represented on this card. Gwar... I have heard of them, but don't think I've heard any songs. Looks stupid- like Kiss wannabes. Fleetwood Mac... Classic band. The Chain is nothing short of a masterpiece. My wife wants to scream when I listen to them.



This Kiss photo must be from the Dynasty-era. They should have used a Destroyer-era photo. 





I wonder how many slime balls were trying to get exhorberant prices for Lemmy's "Rookie Card" shortly after his death? Is this Lemmy's RC?



Finally (although certainly not the last of the cards JT sent- I'm featuring only a few), we have three of the many guitar pick-sized Topps micro cards. I don't think I had any of these three, so I'm obviously thrilled. And yes, we Braves fans think of Chipper Jones every time we hear Ozzy's biggest hit, "Crazy Train."


Thanks again for all the great cards, JT.



From Crazy Train to Crazy Babies



1 comment:

  1. Gwar "Looks stupid- like Kiss wannabes"?

    No. More like, stand in the crowd and get covered in the food-colored blood and gore that gets thrown around. It's like horrorcore or something (if I didn't just make that word up, then I'm shocked)!

    ReplyDelete