Thursday, March 10, 2016

I Don't Always Spend Money on Myself

Did you hear the news about Dos Equis saying 'adios' to 'The Most Interesting Man' pitchman? Apparently they are replacing him with someone else (I'm presuming someone younger than 77 year-old Jonathan Goldsmith). The timing of the announcement works well with this post, as I was going to borrow the line 'I Don't Always...' for the title and saw the news after I had started a draft. 

I really don't like to spend money on necessities for myself- unless you consider baseball cards as a necessity. Okay, I know- you're saying, 'but they are!!' And I agree with you whole heartedly. I'm talking about clothing and the like. I would much rather buy some singles for my Dale Murphy collection or ones that go towards finishing off a set.

I guess what I'm saying is this: I don't always spend money on myself, but when I do, it's on cardboard.

One recent purchase was from the collector's paradise also known as COMC. It had been awhile since I've bought anything from the Washington-based company but I have had a few items in my cart for a couple of months. I don't know how that works- can someone else place the same item in their cart and check out? I didn't want to take any chances, so I decided better safe than sorry.

I'll feature some of the Dale Murphy cards at a later date, but for today we'll look at a few interesting cards from 1985 Topps.






I purchased a lot sometime back to begin collating a set of the classic set. I have a long way to go, but thought it would be funner than just purchasing a complete set. The big card from the set- Mark McGwire's Rookie Card- wasn't included in the lot, so it was one of the first cards I was targeting.





The other two cards I set my sights on this time were the RC's for Eric Davis and Orel Hershiser, both of whom were hot items at one time.









I also spent some money on my daughter with this purchase. She's been working on a set of 2012 Allen & Ginter's Man's Best Friend set. With these two cards she's probably down to about 8 cards or so.






I bet you think I'm going to end this with another line from the Dos Equis ad, but you're wrong. I'm ending it by saying 'Stay Hungry, my friends.'

That is, hungry for cardboard.




6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, ditching the "most interesting man" thing was long overdue - that campaign is tired and stopped being funny a few years ago. On the other hand, '85 Topps is far from tired and is still one of my favorite sets of all-time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Can someone else place the same item in their cart and check out?"

    Yes.

    It's very aggravating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very random.. but I just noticed the Marlboro sign in the background of the McGwire. There was so much hoopla over the 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson rookie card. Just weird that four years earlier nobody cared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye, Fuji. I had not noticed that and don't recall it ever coming up before.

      Delete
    2. That card has stared me in the eyes hundreds of times... and today was the first time I've seen that sign. Guess I'm not very observant.

      Delete