Wednesday, March 16, 2016

No Time Like the Present to Make a Trade

If you've read my blog for anytime at all you are aware of my affection for classic rock (& certain metal) music. That's not the only genre of music that I enjoy- but it is my favorite, no doubt. One thing I've noticed, however, is how little newer music I'm familiar with. Now, by 'newer' I mean anything after the very early nineties. All the stations I listen to are classic rock, golden oldies or more pop-oriented from the 80s and earlier, so discovering new music would require me to seek it out, something I have neither the time, nor energy, to do.

Every once in a while, however, I will (somehow) 'discover' a 'new' band. This usually happens by dumb luck and the band isn't newer- they have usually been around for a few years and have put out a couple of albums. And because I love that classic rock sound, these bands usually have that classic sound. One such band is Black Country Communion, which, unfortunately, has disbanded. BCC comprised of 'The Voice of Rock' Glenn Hughes (of Deep Purple fame), guitar extraordinaire Joe Bonamassa, keyboardist Derek Sherinian and drummer Jason Bonham (yes, John's boy). If you like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and the rest of 70s British rock, I can't recommend them enough.

Finding newer card blogs can be a difficult task for me, as well. I usually don't go searching them out (ain't nobody got time for that!) and only find them when I see other bloggers talk about them. Or, as in the case of new blogger Andy at Ain't Nobody Got Time for Cardboard!, they approach me about a trade.

Andy emailed me a couple weeks ago, telling me he had about 16 cards from my want lists that he would like to send my way and wanted to know if I'd like to trade. Are you kidding me? Of course, I would! He even offered to send the cards my way first, since he is new to the community. Since then, Andy has started a blog- so be sure to check it out, if you haven't already!! (He recently featured the cards I sent him as part of the trade).

Oh, yes, the cards. Let's take some time to look these things over, shall we?


Right off the start were 9 cards I need for my 2014 Update set. And while seven of the nine have the standard (and very familiar looking) vertical shots, the Huston Street and Gerald Laird cards are the better photos in this lot. I wish Topps took more time to find photos like these for their current sets. And I'll say it again: this design works best with the horizontal shots.



A couple of Chippa's, to go along with other set needs.



Heritage and Archives-- although it's hard to distinguish which is which in today's cardboard world. I wasn't expecting so many 2016 Heritage Braves cards, so this was a HUGE plus! I really do like this year's set- if only Topps didn't do that grainy thing (see Jace Peterson).





Andy- thank you again for reaching out to me for the trade and for sending such great stuff!

Again, be sure to visit Andy's blog, everyone, and thanks for taking the time to read this today.



Now, take some time to listen to the infectious sounds of Black Country Communion's 'No Time'







2 comments: