Sunday, April 10, 2016

Farms, Ranches and Rock and Roll

Because sometimes you just want to share a tune...

I have to be careful what I say about farms and ranches around my wife, so as not to offend her. She spent a lot of her childhood on her grandparent's farm/ranch in Montana and it was a special place for her. In fact, it still is;  her uncle took it over years ago and we always make a point to stop by while we're visiting Big Sky country.

It's because of this love of her family's business that she didn't find the humor in Guns N Roses' Farm Aid IV performance from back in 1990.





If you're not familiar with the story, William Bailey (aka Axl Rose) was born and raised in Indiana- where this particular Farm Aid concert was held, so it was a homecoming of sorts for him. In introducing the bands second, and final, song of the evening, Rose declares it to be the 'only farm song we know' and asks the crowd to 'not take it too personal.' The band then breaks into a cover of the UK Sub's 'Down on the Farm'

I can't fall in love with a wheat field, I can't fall in love with the barn, when everything smells of horsesh*t down here on the farm.

If that didn't offend folks, then surely the bands exit did- as Rose walked off stage, saying, 'Thank you. Good f***ing night.'

Live, on national tv.

Yeah, that's Dick Clark saying, 'no!'



*************

I won't pretend that Axl Rose isn't a punk- he is (or, at least was- don't know if he's changed at all). And what he needed during the 80s and 90s was a good ass-kicking by someone like Nolan Ryan.

Remember "The Robin Ventura Incident?"





Like Rose, Ryan speaks his mind and isn't afraid of offending others. In fact, I vaguely remembered some things in his autobiography that could be viewed as controversial,  so I dug out the book and looked it up. Yep- first chapter. There's something for politicians, homosexuals, minorities and lawyers to (perhaps) find offense with. Heck, he even admits, "Well,  now that I've offended just about everybody, let me take on the lawyers..."




Anyway, cards....

These aren't anything I would collect (I found the images online), but it was a cool tribute to the Ryan Express. I wasn't aware until now, as I researched this set, but Pacific actually produced three series on this thing, beginning in 1991 (110 cards) and then another 110 cards in 1992. The final 30 card set was released in 1993.




I think it's safe to say that the punk and hard rock genre's aren't Nolan's cup of tea- which is really too bad. I think his pitching style fits it perfectly: fast, powerful.


1 comment:

  1. I grew up on a ranch and Nolan was my idol, so naturally I have this set. As a matter of fact, I think I have four or five complete sets. Haha I actually was completely unWare of the GNR Farm Aid performance. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete