Friday, April 15, 2016

Food-Issue Friday: Finally! Marketside Pizza

After two wasted trips to Walmart in the past week and a half, I made a third trip to the most frustrating place on earth. And, as the cliche goes: the third time was a charm.

And if that weren't great enough, I didn't even have to eat one of their crappy pizzas- I was able to spend less money on breadsticks which, I might add, weren't that bad. To be honest, they didn't even have any pizzas with the Topps toppings. I guess you can say it was a win-win for me.





I know that the prevailing opinion has been positive on these cards. I get it- the popularity is more of a nostalgia thing. After all, we haven't had food-issues for what seems to be ages and these things make us feel all gooey inside- just like the breadstick dough prior to being put into the oven.




But as much as I've enjoyed food-issues over the years, I'm just not feeling it on this product. So I contacted Tim at I Love the Smell of Cardboard in the Morning, who is working on the set, to see if a trade could be worked out. Tim had posted some Heritage cards he had pulled from some breaks and, being that this is my latest love interest, I hit him up for a trade. It's one of those agreed-upon trades like you read about in the news. Cards have yet to be exchanged, but I'll soon be sending these off (with some others) and thought I'd better milk a "Food-Issue Friday" out of them before doing so.





While I'm not real fond of the design used for this set, I am thrilled that Topps has done this promotion- and hope that they continue to find ways of stirring up interest in the hobby. But can you imagine the frenzy it would have created if they had released a more retro-style design in cereal or snack cakes?




2 comments:

  1. The thought of cereal cards makes me all giddy inside. I love my breakfast cereals as is, adding baseball cards to the mix would stimulate my inner 8 year old to epic proportions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, I'm hoping this is successful enough that cards start popping up in cereal boxes once again!

    ReplyDelete