Thursday, May 26, 2016

Food-Issue Friday: A *Food-Issued* Rookie

It's been a while since I've done a food-issue Friday entry- heck, it's been a while since I've posted anything- but I'm in a hotel room with not a lot to do, so what better time to catch up?



I remember mentioning a couple of years ago how I would really like to pick up an Ichiro 'Rookie Card' from the Keebler Mariner set. Part of this is due to a certain 'mystic' of other such oddball rookie cards from the past- Hammerin' Hank, Yount, and The Wizard-Ozzie Smith, just to name a few. I had since forgotten about that until recently, when Ichiro began his hot streak as he marches towards 3,000. About that time I saw a Keebler set listed on eBay for $10. It's not really a 'food-issue' but it's my blog, my rules. You dig?



I really don't know how much interest there is in the states these days, but I figured there might be some interest in the international market and decided I'd jump on the set just in case prices begin climbing. 

The cards themselves were a bit of a disappointment, as they remind me more of playing cards than trading cards. But the way they were distributed is an interesting story.



Handed out at Safeco Field on July 15, 2001, the 20,000 packs contained 28 cards- 20 of which were of all different players. The other 8, however, were all of the same player. The purpose of this was to encourage trading your duplicates with others in order to complete a set. 



Thankfully the set I received had all twenty eight unique cards. 


3 comments:

  1. Love the method of distribution - it would be especially significant in today's "can't look up from my smart phone" culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great promotion! Glad you finally got what you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet card. I'm off to find one for my collection.

    ReplyDelete