Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Now That's a Card

We are just finishing up our vacation and are getting ready to head home today, but I did scan a few things before leaving- just in case I felt like entering a new post. Today's will be short and sweet.

A few weeks ago I complained on Twitter about Topps failing to recognize Felix Hernandez' passing Randy Johnson as the team's all-time strikeout King, so when they issued a Topps Now card of The King passed Jamie Moyer as the team's all-time leader in Wins, I had to put my money where my mouth is.

*wanted to insert photos here, my iPad won't allow me to drag the photos--see below*

My thoughts on Topps Now after landing my first card: card stock was what I thought it would be. Card front isn't bad- not crazy about the 'brushed' look around the edges. The circles and line connecting them reminds me of that insert from 2015 Topps (I forget the name?). I'm not crazy about the design on the back, but I don't know what I was expecting. Perhaps the player's linescore from the game would have been nice. The packaging was a surprise, as earlier reviews were upset that they just threw it in a Card Saver. My card was in a penny sleeve, then placed in a top loader and then placed in the envelope. 

Overall, not bad- probably costs much more than it should be, but I'm not sure if it's sustainable. Cards every day, many of the same player and same type of moment (walk-offs) just leave me questioning whether collectors will get burnt out. 

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm with you on the sustainability issue. Draining the same pockets over and over will get old quickly and with a lack of bling to these cards, the speculators will turn tail and run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not buying til there's a price drop ... somewhere.

    ReplyDelete