Wednesday, December 21, 2016

The Long and Short of It

All these years later and I'm still trying to figure out just what makes parallel cards attractive to the collector. If you're talking about a Nestle parallel from '84- okay, I get it. But colored parallels? Sorry, but I just don't understand why I need eighteen colored parallels of the same player.




One thing I do get: photo variations. Y'all poo-poo them because they are short-printed and view them as a gimmick.





But I dig them. Can you diiiiiiiig it?





Working towards as much of a master set as I can, I have made it a habit to pick up as many of these beaut's as possible- whenever the price is right.





Some have been purchased as lots.





Others, as singles for very little.





You don't like them- and that's okay. You can send them my way.



2 comments:

  1. I don't like variations in base sets because I keep my collection records based on card number. If my records show I have card #1 (for example) that means any future copies of card #1 I get go into the duplicates box. When I find out later there were variations, I have to check them and see, but that then throws off my collection stats and I don't know when I got the card...which matters to me. I've found about a dozen variations- including ERR/COR- in my duplicates boxes over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that can be a pain. I do like that we now have websites that list and show all the variations in each checklist- they have come in very handy for me this year. That being said, I was just listing some 2016 Topps Update duplicates on Sportlots the other day and found 2 photo variations I had previously overlooked. That can be maddening, because I purchased one of the two before my discovery,

      Delete