Monday, January 30, 2017

Countdown to 2017 Topps #02: Hypnotized

You're getting sleepy, very sleepy.... now think about the sheer excitement you're feeling for a new baseball season that's upon us; think about how excited you are for the release of 2017 Topps 1; think about how you must rush out and buy a pack, a box, a case, when it's released on February 1st...


There are times when I wonder if I haven't been somehow hypnotized by The Topps Company, Inc. How else do you explain my devotion to their flagship product? When it seems every other collector/blogger is being hyper critical of everything produced by the company, there I am, drinfing the Kool-Aid. That's not to say that I've liked every flagship issue produced, but I buy it, add it to my collection and move on. I guess some might call it a blind-allegiance.


Perhaps at some point in my young life I saw this card- which, to me, looks like a hypnosis wheel. Could I have seen it in the spokes of some bicycle; watching, fascinated as it went 'round and 'round, and 'round and 'round. All the while giving myself over to complete mind-control.





Yet another floaty-head thing. What was it with Chicago Cubs team cards from the 70s and early 80s? Did the team not believe in team photos? Were they indoctrinated by some cult, convinced that team photos were evil? And, bear with me as I go off an a tangent...didn't someone with Topps know that if you put a card like this out there, that some twisted youth would take a red ball-point (or felt-tip) pen and draw blood pouring out of their necks.

Not that I'd ever do anything like that or anything.






1 comment:

  1. The floating head cards are creepy to me. At least on this vintage Cubs card they didn't edit out their necks. Looks less creepy.

    ReplyDelete