Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Countdown to 2017 Topps #22: Potential

There have been only two periods of my life where I did not collect cards (well, three, if you count from my birth year of 1969 until I began collecting in 1976), both being self-imposed exiles from the Hobby. Interestingly, I missed seven card-calendar years (1984-1990 and 2002-2008) during each time away from the Hobby. The upcoming 2017 card season will mark the ninth consecutive year of collecting since my return- and I don't expect to undergo another exile anytime soon. We're now twenty-two days from the pure bliss that accompanies the new card season.

I don't really remember Dave Bush, but I do remember some of the cards from my earlier days in the Hobby. I might be alone here in my opinion, but I believe the photo on this card of the former Blue Jay is reminiscent of the ethos of '70s Topps baseball. Biff Pocoroba's 1976 card, in particular, comes to mind.



While I'm a fan of the photo choice, I'm not much of a fan of the design Topps used for its 2005 release. Eliminate the player's last name in large, silver foil-stamped lettering, and tighten up that top border, and there would have been a lot of promise. Instead, it's just another set that gets lost in anonymity.  






Hopefully card #521 (21) in our countdown will allow for more commentary. I brought work home with me tonight, leaving me very little time to dedicate to write about baseball cards.


No comments:

Post a Comment