Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Countdown to 2017 Topps #28: Swish

So, here we are- the beginning of a New Year and the release of 2017 Topps Series 1 baseball being less than a month away. I was all set to begin this countdown (the third annual) on January 9th, until I found out yesterday that the release date is not February 8, but rather February 1. What that means is that I'm beginning the countdown not at #30, but at #28. I'll let you determine who came in at thirty and twenty-nine.


For this year's countdown, I decided to feature cards that are numbered between 501-528. The reason being that, having done two previous countdowns (both of which featured cards that were numbered 1-30), I did not want to go looking through the candidates a third time. Knowing myself, I thought I would decide on a card in haste without realizing I had already featured it in one of the other countdowns. Makes sense, right?


The card that leads things off for us this year is a card of Nick Swisher, from what I believe to be an under appreciated set. 




I don't really know much about the son of former MLB catcher Steve Swisher, other than he seemed to be popular among the fans. At least I thought that was the case? A google search showed that he was once voted by his peers as one of the most hated players in the majors. I guess his using 'bro' every other sentence, along with the way he conducts himself on the field, rubbed teammates (and opponents) the wrong way. I'm sure he was beloved by members of the media that covered him, as he probably always provided good copy.

As far as the front of Swisher's card- I like the idea, just not how it was executed; it would have been much better with the photo zoomed in just a tad. Kudos to the photographer, however, as he/she did seem to capture the excitement that Swish often brought to the field.




1 comment:

  1. Swisher continues to be mocked by someone I work with on almost a weekly basis. He does have a real "bro" personality that can be annoying. Plus, he's Chris Olds' favorite player. (I should probably give Olds some slack since he hasn't been employed by Beckett for a few months now, but the know-it-all stuff -- and the wrestling tweets -- rubbed me the wrong way long ago).

    ReplyDelete