Sunday, January 1, 2017

Ringing in the New Year with an Old Favorite

It's the first day of a new year and the final day of the NFL regular season, so what better way to welcome the new year than with a couple of cards of an old favorite of mine?

I tend to shy away from newer card releases of retired veterans, unless it is part of a set I'm working on or if it is of my PC guys (and only then if it is compelling enough to add to my collection). That means that newer cards of guys like Dale Murphy and Steve Largent are largely ignored due to the repetitive nature of the photos used and the poor designs that plague many of today's sets.

I did find two recent cards of Steve Largent that I liked so much, that I decided to purchase them.




Panini's Phoenix Football is a mid-level brand that I found to be very reminiscent of a Pacific Football release from the late '90s/early '00s. And while I was never a big fan of Pacific, I did find some of their releases intriguing, particularly on the football side. The scan on this one doesn't do the card justice, as it is quite shiny.










Yes, an NFL card that pays tribute to the classic Donruss baseball set. The Donruss football base set might have sucked this year (IMO), but this 1987 Classics set was a stunner. In fact, I might just add it to my 'things to complete this year' list.





Hopefully your NFL team has something on the line today, playing a meaningful game. If not, there's always next year. Just ask the Chicago Cub faithful.




No comments:

Post a Comment