Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Could She Be the One?

About mid-2016 I began selling cards on Sportlots.com. As much as I would love to sell cards full-time, it started as nothing more than a way to supplement our income a little (along with selling on eBay and doing card shows). Life got in the way (not to mention, sales slowed tremendously) and by about September or October I set my status to 'vacation'- meaning my inventory wasn't showing up on searches. Then, in mid-December I changed my status back to "online" and am now using it as a way to move excess cards and replenish my card money.

Last week, I had a sale for a single card and as I printed off the order detail sheet I noticed the name of the buyer was the same as the person featured on the card, Rosie Rios.




(borrowed picture from eBay- only card I owned was the one that sold)


If you're not familiar with Ms. Rios, here's the back of her 'First Pitch' card...






Anyway, I would have probably just thought it merely a coincidence that the names were the same were it not for the address. The town is one near the District and is very wealthy and well-educated area. A google search of the address pulled up a very nice looking home, which all but confirmed my suspicions. And then a couple of days ago, I saw this on the Sportlots homepage:






Hmm... number 1 on the hot cards list. Yeah, I'm thinking Ms. Rios is buying up all of her own cards. Or perhaps it's one of her children? Maybe not, but you never know. Now the only question is: should I send something to the address, requesting an autograph? Something like a U.S. dollar bill.


3 comments:

  1. That's a pretty good bit of detective work. I can't help but think that something like that happening would be awesome. I'm not sure I'd be adventurous enough to send a TTM request. Would,love to see an update if you decide to though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty cool. I imagine if I were to ever grace a trading card I'd want to track it down too...but to buy every one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. Maybe she figures if she corners the market... the value of her trading card will rise. She was after all the U.S. Treasurer. I guess I should go out and grab one of these before these become the next 1964 Topps Curt Flood.

    ReplyDelete