Friday, February 24, 2017

Food-Issue Friday: Cool as Sh*#, Ugly as Sin

It's been some time since I've ran a Food-Issue Friday feature. Too long, in fact. So let's get the party started...

Why is it that so many of the oddball/food-issue sets from the 80s/90s can be as cool as sh*# but uglier than sin? And, have you noticed that sets released today that are comparable are just plain fugly, with nothing cool about them? Good, glad I'm not the only one.







The latest addition to the food-issue collection is a near-complete set of 1991 Country Hearth Breads Mariners team set that looks like it could have been done on my Mac. Poor design aside, the photos could have saved the set, if not for the number of compositions taken inside the Kingdome.



Yeah, there's a reason why outdoor photos are far more common on cardboard.




Cards feature players at the plate, in the field or on the mound. Except Tracy Jones. There's always that one rebel.



Heck, even the Mariner Moose is caught 'in action'.



You want Griffey? Sure, there are two cards featuring the Kid. And....they're dark, as well.



It's funny: I pick up a set that's supposedly tough to get (due to the way it was distributed) and it's missing only one card- which you would expect to be of the newly minted Hall of Famer. But no, I'm missing Scott Bankhead (card #11). Yeah, I know- it makes no sense.


Speaking of distribution... the cards were individually inserted into loaves of Country Hearth Bread and were given away as a stadium giveaway (SGA) on August 17, 1991. Cards inserted in loaves of bread had no protection, making them difficult to find in mint condition due to moisture spots; cards given away at the stadium were handed out in groups of 10, making it difficult to complete a set. There are twenty-nine numbered cards and the unnumbered 'header' card.

Where did you go, Scott Bankhead?


1 comment:

  1. I agree with your sentiments entirely. While I'm sure nostalgia plays a healthy role in this thought process, I can't help but think there's more to it than that. I just can't put my finger on it though.

    ReplyDelete