Tuesday, April 18, 2017

30-Day Baseball Card Challenge #13: Card from the 1990s




A friend tagged me in a post on Facebook the other day, sharing with me a picture that Dale Murphy had tweeted prior to the opening of the Braves new Sun Trust Park. I had already seen the selfie, taken with fellow Atlanta legends Bobby Cox, Chipper Jones, Phil Niekro, John Smoltz and Tom Glavine, but thanked him for sharing it with me. His next comment elicited a laugh from me: "I know they're not totally dead to you." "I think of it like a divorce," I said. "You can't stand your ex, but there are kids involved."

Now, I've never been divorced, but I know how messy some can get. Likewise, there are marriages that end with both sides still being on friendly terms and where each still care for the other. My split with the Braves, a marriage consummated in 1981, is like the one where you can't stand your ex, but have kids involved. In this case, one of the kids involved happens to be Andruw Jones.





It's easy to look at today's card and automatically think of Game 1 of the 1996 World Series, where the 19 year-old Jones homered in his very first two at-bats. But a closer look at the card reveals a different moment: homering in the bottom of the 6th during Game 7 of the 1996 NLCS. Cardinals fans will undoubtedly have bad flashbacks to this game, in which the Braves routed the Cards 15-0 to pull off an improbably comeback to advance to the World Series. One thing of note regarding Jones' homer- the home run came in the sixth inning and the young budding star would walk in his next (and final) at-bat. Thus, when you consider  his first two WS plate appearances, he would homer in three straight post-season (official) at-bats.

1 comment:

  1. Love the analogy about the ex and the kids. That's me with the Lakers. We're still cool with each other, but we needed some time away from each other. But I made sure to still support Kobe until the end of his career.

    ReplyDelete