Sunday, April 23, 2017

30-Day Baseball Card Challenge #16: R-E-S-P-E-C-T




Today's choice wasn't all that difficult- "a player whom you appreciate but don't like."

I can only guess that my dislike of George Brett came from the sense of arrogance that he projected. Although I wasn't a Royals fan, I did find myself rooting for them against those Yankees teams of the late '70s and early '80s. I found it much easier to root for players such as Amos Otis, Frank White, Willie Wilson and Al Cowens.




But I will say this: I found myself really learning to appreciate Brett, the player, after his playing days were over. I found myself feeling the same way about Joe Montana after he hung up his cleats (although I think my dislike of Montana was more about getting tired of hearing about him, not that he came across as a jerk).




I got this Brett oddball from Tony at Off Hiatus a couple of years ago-- I think he had featured some stuff and asked if anyone was interested. I was picking up a lot of oddballs at the time, requested it, and Tony was kind enough to ship it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment