Thursday, April 27, 2017

30-Day Baseball Card Challenge #28: Fudging. Or, Relic/Manufactured Card



I bought me an illusion an put it on the wall, I let it fill my head with dreams and I had to have them all. But oh the taste is never so sweet as what you'd believe it is- well I guess it never is. It's these prejudiced illusions that pump the blood to the heart of the biz... ~ Guns N' Roses' Locomotive




I'm going to fudge on a couple of things in today's 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge post. First, I'm going out of order (waaaay out of order) and, second, I'm tweeking the prompt- but just a hair.


Surely by now you have heard of the 'mud stained' Barracuda Straight Legged Jeans that Nordstrom's is selling for $425. If you haven't, and you don't feel compelled to read the link, I'll summarize it for you. High fashion meets working class in these caked-on muddy jeans that show "you're not afraid to get down and dirty." Only problem is that it's not authentic dirt that's caked-on; it's all 'an illusion', as Mike Rowe put it. Rowe, who knows a thing or two about getting down and dirty in work, went on to say that the jeans aren't even fashion, but "a costume for wealthy people who see work as ironic- not iconic."




*Card photo pulled from eBay


**this card is not a favorite relic/manufactured relic card. It's a relic/manufactured relic card.

Technically, I should be on Day #19 of the Challenge, but I've decided to take advantage of the Nordstrom news to jump ahead to Day 28. I did this, of course, to point out the ridiculousness of some of the relics found in higher-end products. Now, I'm not against relics, per se. You want to put plain swatches in flagship products? I don't have a problem with that- in fact I'll pick them up as part of a team set (or, if I were a master set builder). And there are some very beautiful patch swatches- I've seen many that I'd love to have, but can't pull the trigger on because of the price. But I find it very 'Nordstrom-ish' of Topps to include swatches like the one above in high-end products like Tier One (or whatever other 'designer' card set). Products like this should be about patch swatches, not 'dirty' swatches (and especially not small plain ones) that are the equivalent of the Barracuda Straight Legged Jeans. After all, how else is one supposed to perpetuate the myth that they're a 'real' collector? The poor schmuck is dropping large coin, only to get a dirty piece of memorabilia that is not from any specific game, event or season.

Or maybe the dirt adds to its 'authenticity'?


...You can use your illusion let it take you where it may. We live and learn and then sometimes it's best to walk away. Me I'm just here hanging on, it's my only place to stay at least for now anyway. I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.





2 comments:

  1. It's a shame that there are shady people out there who alter cards and card companies who can't man up and give collectors solid guarantees that items are actually game used, because the idea behind game used memorabilia cards is really cool. I'd be willing to pay a small percentage more for a dirty swatch... if I knew 100% that it was legit.

    ReplyDelete