Wednesday, April 5, 2017

30-Day Baseball Card Challenge #4: Rookie Card




Although the prompt for Day 4 calls for a rookie card of one of your favorite players, I'm going to go outside the box a little and feature the 'rookie card' of my favorite baseball broadcaster, the late Dave Niehaus.

One note: this postcard is not mine- I found it on eBay and used the photo from the listing.






One of my fondest childhood memories was discovering the joy that comes in listening to baseball on the radio, and I have the late Dave Niehaus to thank. As I posted years ago on the evening of his death, I was introduced to Mr. Niehaus in the Mariners infancy- they were the local team and their broadcasts were picked up by a local radio station. I spent many evenings during my childhood listening to games on the radio, often times going to sleep before the seventh-inning stretch. But the excitement that Dave brought to his play-by-play was second to none and the only word I can use to describe it was contagious. His best-known expression (see the inscription on above photo) was "My, oh, my!", but he also had two other beloved calls: "Get out the rye bread and and mustard, Grandma, it's grand salami time!" (for a grand slam), and, "Fly away!" (for home runs).

I don't know if I'll ever acquire this postcard or not- my heart says 'yes', but the pocket book says 'no'. The asking price on eBay is $199.99 and this collector has to put food on the table. And two hundred bucks can put a lot of rye bread and salami on the table.

Thanks for reading.


1 comment:

  1. Very cool card. On my last trip to Washington, I saw a bobblehead they made of him. It was pretty cheap (around $20 if I remember correctly). I probably should have picked it up.

    ReplyDelete