Monday, April 10, 2017

30-Day Baseball Card Challenge #7: Sentimental Street




Day 7: A card you bought in person and the story behind it.






The card show I attended this past Saturday was held at a plaza that's across the street from Memorial Stadium, home of the Class-A short season Boise Hawks baseball club (Northwest League). I've driven past that area countless times over the past twenty-two years- whether attending a game or just going past it for whatever reason- and every time I do I can't help but get a little sentimental. It was there, at Memorial Stadium (and at a nearby restaurant) in June of 1995, where my wife and I had our first date.

Sentimentalism must explain the reason I chose today's card; heck, I think it's the reason I bought the card this past weekend. You see, when my wife and I started dating, Arod was one of about a half-dozen players whose cards I collected. It was a time of new romance (and we know how exciting that can be) and I often think of it as my 'golden age' for collecting- we still had plenty of good LCS', I was not only collecting but doing a lot of shows, and my best friend (and card collecting buddy) was still here on earth. By the time Arod moved on to Texas I was just about out of the hobby, my daughter was about to be born and said best friend would soon pass away. Rodriguez would go from hobby darling to all-around villain in the ensuing years.

Despite the controversy surrounding the man known as 'A-fraud', I've found myself become a little more forgiving of his past transgressions. Perhaps some of that comes from watching him as an analyst for Fox last fall- he's truly a baseball junkie, with a nice mixture of insight and humor, and I found him somewhat likeable. 

That's still not enough to compel me to buy this card of his. 

No, that's driven strictly by sentimentalism.





3 comments:

  1. Love the 1994 Classic set. I plan on building it this summer. The A-Rod (along with the Jeter) is a card that I know I'm missing and I hope I can add it for a reasonable price somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow missed this card of Arod over the years. Anyways... I totally understand this purchase. I've picked up a few cards over the years for sentimental reasons myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great story! Glad you shared it!

    ReplyDelete