Tuesday, April 11, 2017

30-Day Baseball Card Challenge #8: Family Member



Of all the prompts thus far on Tony's 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge, this one proved itself to be the most, ahem, challenging. But then it dawned on me and I had to laugh at myself because it was so obvious.

The year was August, 1978 and it was the first of many family vacations spent in the Emerald City. A few months earlier my dad had announced that we would be traveling to Seattle to attend a Seahawk exhibition game against the Rams and then two Mariners games against the defending champion New York Yankees. I can still remember the moment when the tickets arrived in the mail and how excited I was to be holding tickets to an actual major league game!

It wasn't long after we entered into the city that I heard my dad declare, "there it is, the Kingdome!" I turned my head from looking at my sister (goofing off, more than likely) and stared straight ahead, out the front windshield. Sure enough, there it was in all its glory!



I'm still not exactly sure how it happened- it's been nearly 40 years- but all of a sudden there was a lot of chaos: honking, yelling, cars coming directly at us. It turns out that I wasn't the only one in awe of the Eighth Wonder of the World. My dad had somehow ended up driving down a one-way road (which was, I might add, very busy)- the. wrong. way.

Now it's pretty hard to embarrass a nine year-old boy, but a twelve year-old girl... not difficult at all. My sister, mortified that these people were honking and yelling, suddenly dove towards the floor of our Mustang, as if these fine folks would recognize her at the next middle school sock-hop. Apparently I thought that was the proper response for such a situation and I, too, was diving like I was Greg Louganis.

If that wasn't bad enough, the Seahawks got blown out that night by the Los Angeles Rams and then the very next night the Mariners lost to those damn Yankees.

There was a silver lining to all of this, though. Reggie got booed by the hometown fans.

Oh, yeah- the Seattle 9 beat the Yankees our third night there at that magnificent mausoleum.




1 comment:

  1. Awesome card. My first visit to the Kingdome was in '81. Been a Seahawks fan ever since.

    ReplyDelete