Saturday, April 15, 2017

70th Anniversary


Let me make this clear: I'm not a fan of manufactured relics. That doesn't mean I haven't bought them, or traded for them, but they're not something I would go after other than to add to a player collection or team set. And please, don't tell me that the Adams Jones 500 HR Futures Club manu-relic counts as one of the 'hits' from my hobby box. Just don't.

All that to say that the purchase of today's card was perfectly timed, as it showed up two days ago. I wasn't even aware that the 70th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's debut was imminent . I know, go ahead and say it... 'you call yourself a baseball fan and did not know when Jackie Robinson Day is?' Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.





It's really too bad that there is some sort of manu-relic on this card, because it is a really nice looking design. But for $1 plus $1 for shipping, I can overlook the inauthenticity and just rejoice that it's one more card for my team set.




You know what I'd like to see Topps do for Jackie Robinson Day? Purchase some game-used jerseys and use the numbers for the swatches. Actual game-used #42 jersey swatches. Now, for all I know it could have already been done.


No comments:

Post a Comment