Thursday, April 13, 2017

Book Burning. Er, Trading.

It's National Library Week (April 9-15), but instead of celebrating and picking up some new titles for my library, I decided to get rid of some books. That might border on sacrilege for a bibliophile like my wife, but there are very few books that I consider as 'must keeps'. And when I have an opportunity to wipe out a large number of cards off of my want lists... you can bet your first edition that I'll choose cardboard over hard cover (especially paperbacks).





This book burning trading began a couple of weeks ago, when I emailed a guy who sets of up most of the local card shows. He's a Braves fan and I thought he might be interested in some books I have about the history of the team, bio's and autobio's of various Braves players. Mike was interested and I told him I'd bring them to the card show (which just took place this past weekend). What he gave me in trade was a 300-ct box full of cards from 1976-1983, with a couple of '84s in there, too.

I won't be scanning many of the cards from this group, but will feature a smattering of the overall haul.



Two of the books that I have and consider off-limit, as far as getting rid of, are penned by Dan Epstein: Big Hair and Plastic Grass, which looks back at baseball during our favorite decade, and Stars and Strikes, a fun read that revisits Major League Baseball during the Bicentennial year.

Another book on 70s baseball is in the works, but this one from the outrageous mind of Ricky Cobb, aka Super 70s Sports. This should be another keeper and I'm very much looking forward to it.




One title that covered the 80s that was very well written was The Pittsburgh Cocaine Seven, which chronicled the drug culture of the sport during the 80s and the ensuing trials.





How about you readers. What's a must-have book for your baseball library?


3 comments:

  1. "One Day at Fenway" by Steve Kettmann may be the best baseball book ever written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only baseball book I own is Ball Four, but since I haven't finished reading it... it's not my place to recommend it. I do however have a few Baseball card books and Cardboard Gods is hands down my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorites is "The Glory of Their Times: The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told By the Men Who Played It" by Lawrence S. Ritter. This blurb is on the back of my copy: "It has been a long time since I enjoyed a book as much as I enjoyed The Glory of Their Times....The day after I finished it I started reading it all over again." --Ted Williams

    ReplyDelete