Saturday, May 27, 2017

May Card Show

Greetings from a hotel room somewhere on the Oregon coast. Rather than work my tail off on scheduling posts prior to leaving for vacation, I just scanned a bunch of cards, put them into a draft folder and am using the Blog Touch Pro app on my iPad. Hopefully I'll take the time to write while bored late at night or early morning in hotel rooms.

Anyway, I attended a card show last weekend- good thing it wasn't this weekend, or else I would not have been able to add the following cards to my collection.




Donnie Baseball's rookie card was one of only 10 cards needed to finish my '84 Topps set. I could have probably picked it up cheaper online, but didn't mind spending a little extra when buying from a friend. I'm now down to 9 for the set and might try to get those off of sportlots in the near future.





This was kind of an impulsive buy, but I am going to put together the team set and figured I might as well buy it while I had the chance. I read something recently that said the Orioles are still hoping to have Pat Connaughton pitch in their minor league system. The guy has a 96 mph fastball. He hasn't had too many opportunities on the court for the Blazers, but he did have a couple of good games late in the year, so we shall see...





My hatred for most all things Panini has softened a bit and picked up some 'Hawks for the collection. My initial reaction to the last couple of Donruss sets was 'Yuck', but it has grown on me. Just a bit, anyway.



I didn't realized one of the Rated Rookie cards was a press proof. I might not have bought it if I had been aware of that. Still, I do like these cards.











Most everything else pictured here was from the quarter box. I think the only one that I paid more for was the Donruss Dominator card of King Felix. I think I paid a buck for that one.












Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy the Memorial Day Weekend!


5 comments:

  1. I'm with you in that I'm willing to spend (a little) more from a show or shop. There's a satisfaction of having a card that you purchased immediately.

    Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which 9 do you still need for your 1984 Topps set? I broke a handful of packs I might be able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 47, 50, 287, 318, 353, 390, 406, 412,635.
    thanks, Fuji!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally had a few minutes to dig out my 84's. I have the following cards: 287, 318, 353, 390, and 635. Email me your mailing address and I'll send them your way.

      Delete
  4. Yeah those Donruss football parallels are sneaky. I just posted recently about all the ones that got by me too.

    ReplyDelete