Saturday, May 6, 2017

Player's Ink: 300

Thirty-Five years ago tonight, Mariners right-hander Gaylord Perry beat the Yankees for his 300th career win. To honor the Hall of Fame pitcher, the M's invited Perry to throw out the first pitch before tonight's matchup against another former team of Gaylord's, the Texas Rangers.




Topps honored the two-time Cy Young Award Winner's career by producing a 6-card 'Career Highlights' set. Released in 1983, the set featured the years 1962, 1968, 1972, 1975, 1978 and, of course, his 1982 season . I'm ashamed to admit this, but I was never aware of this gem until a couple of months ago, when I ran across today's featured card on eBay. I snagged it to add to my Mariners collection, but at this time have no plans of adding any of the other singles. That I was able to get a signed copy was just icing on the cake.




One of my favorite numbers about Mr. Perry: the 303 complete games he threw. No, that wasn't a typo. He actually threw 303 complete games. Quite an accomplishment when you think about how most pitchers don't even throw 7 innings in a game these days.



No comments:

Post a Comment