Friday, May 26, 2017

Player's Ink: A Big Sig

Twenty-Eight years ago yesterday the Montreal Expos traded three pitching prospects to the Seattle Mariners for a four month rental an established ace (Mark Langston) and a PTBNL. Less than a year later, one of the pitchers Seattle acquired came within one out of a Perfect Game. Only a home run by former Mariner Ken Phelps came between Brian Holman and history. One of the other pitchers acquired for Langston went on to have a pretty good career, too. And he was able to later accomplish what Holman could not (although, it would come as a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks).




That pitcher, of course, was none other than Hall of Famer, Randy Johnson. I had been wanting to add an autograph of the Big Unit to my collection for quite a while but never had until a couple of months ago. I really didn't have the money to drop on a more recent certified auto, so I decided to look at older signatures that were certified by some of the more reputable authenticators and then watched and waited on eBay for an uncertified auto; I settled on today's featured card. While there is no COA offered (which usually doesn't mean a thing), I decided to go ahead and take a chance on it; the seller had a good history of satisfied customers on the signatures he had sold and the signature had elements to it that led me to believe it's the real deal. If that's the case it was a good deal on a Big Sig.

On the other hand, I could be just a big sucker.



No comments:

Post a Comment