Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Cards from the National



Ask most collectors if they would like to attend one of the Nationals (NSCC) and the overwhelming majority would probably respond, "of course." And who can blame them? When collectors claim, "if you can't find what you're looking for at the National, it probably doesn't exist", they're probably speaking more truth than hyperbole. And with most of us having wantlists with hard to find items, the prospect of finding those elusive treasures thrill us like nothing else. Plus, who doesn't enjoy fellowship with other card (or memorabilia) nerds?






I have never been to the National and, at least for the foreseeable future, don't plan on attending. My reasoning is two fold: it's impossible for me to take time away from work for any extended period during July and August, so unless the show gets moved to, say, April to mid-June, I won't be able to attend. The second reason is financially driven. Living out west means booking a flight and hotel- not to mention food and any other expenses. Plus, I couldn't justify going without taking plenty of cash for any purchases at the show itself. And, being on a limited card budget, that would mean going the other 51 weeks during the calendar year without buying any other cardboard. No thanks.







But not all is lost. We live in the age of the internet, which means we can find almost anything we want- all from the comfort of our living room, office or on our cell phone while at the stop light. Why, I was able to purchase the two 2017 NSCC Griffey cards pictured above from home. And for a heck of a lot less than any other expenses I would have had on a trip to Chicago.

One of the sellers included some extra cards with my bubble mailer. I hadn't seen any of the 2017 Diamond King set but really like the Originals- even if Boggs face looks a little off. And the Aurora..it really is a beautiful card in-hand, especially the back. 










So while I didn't go to the National this year, I was certainly able to bring the National home to me- through both photos on social media and with cardboard through the mail.

Now, if the NSCC would come to Seattle, Portland or Salt Lake City, well, that might be a different story.



2 comments:

  1. D-Kings - love 'em! I'm not far from the Nat'l, whether in Chicago or Cleveland. The expense for hotel and food plus a generous card budget make it difficult to plan a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to hit Cleveland next year since that is as close as it will get for me.

    ReplyDelete