Saturday, September 23, 2017

A Price to Pay

There's always a price to pay when it comes to being a card collector.. It costs us time, money and space- to name just a few. In the worst-case scenario, it comes at the cost of a relationship. While I don't know of anyone personally, I'd be willing to bet someone has lost a spouse because of their out-of-control spending habits on wax or singles.

When I took on my latest collection project (a card of every player to appear in a game for the Mariners & Seahawks), I knew that at some point I'd be forced to over-pay for a card of some Joe Common who appeared in one game and whose only card is hard to come by. After all, if you look at some of the regional oddball Seahawks cards from the '80s and early '90s (including the team issued postcards), you will find some of them feature the only card of a particular player. Pacific was one such manufacturer (and this was before their first mainstream release in 1991). Perhaps you're a Braves or Dodgers team set collector and have had to pay big bucks for that vintage high-numbered series card of a back-up catcher. Yeah, that's the same predicament I have found myself in (although on a smaller scale, price-wise).



I discovered today's card while working on my want list and immediately went to eBay to try to find one. And, not to my surprise, I found some copies- copies that were more than I would like to spend. But when you're committed to something, you go into it knowing that there very well might be a heavy price to pay. Or at the very least, a minimal amount. 

So while I'd much rather have gotten more for my money, I can at least know that the $5+ spent for this card will have been spent more wisely than the $9 it would take to buy that jumbo pack, from which nothing would go into my collection.

1 comment:

  1. As long as you're happy with the purchase... that's all that really matters. Well... that's my philosophy at least. Then again... I'm not married. I've come close though... and the key roadblock was her spending issues. So I could definitely see where card collecting could impact a relationship.

    ReplyDelete