Monday, September 4, 2017

Projects

They say that weekends are the perfect time for home improvement projects- and I suppose that hold true even more so during holiday weekends. Turn on the tv or open your Sunday paper and you seem to get bombarded with sales ads for those holiday projects. For the collector, the weekend is also a perfect time to start a project. But for me, it's just an opportunity to continue a project that's already in progress.

I have recently been forced to re-evaluate my collection. As I mentioned in a recent post, my wife has gone into business for herself and as a result, I decided to sacrifice some of my office space for her Scentsy inventory. What this means is the space I had dedicated to my complete sets has been dramatically reduced, leaving me to rethink my collecting goals. Had this not forced a decision, I would eventually have to make a decision regarding those sets; this just expedited the process.

Not only did I decide that I can no longer dedicate space for the run of Topps sets, I also decided to start two new collecting projects: one I'm calling The Hawks Nest, and the other I'm calling The USS Mariner. While collecting team sets isn't nearly as space-consuming as  complete sets, they still take up a lot of space. So these two projects are really just a way to be a team collector, but on a smaller scale. In other words, it's an all-time roster on cardboard. One card for every player to suit up for my two teams. Now instead of having 45 cards of Joey Galloway or Freddie Garcia, I'll only have one in each respective binder.

Sounds simple enough, doesn't it? But I'm going to make it a little more difficult on myself by setting up certain restrictions. Because I'm still collecting Topps (flagship) team sets for each (and Donruss 2016-, since Topps is no longer making football cards), flagship cards are not allowed, unless it's the only card made of a player as a Mariner or Seahawk. I want to try to keep the projects as diverse as possible, so I'm trying to have as many card sets represented as possible- which means I will not discriminate against such sets as Pacific, Fleer, Donruss ('94-) and other such atrocities. The card must picture them as a member of the team (again, unless no other card exists) and no minor league cards are allowed. One of the more difficult aspects of this project will be for those players who have only one or two cards made, which were regional or team-issued cards. Some of those can be very expensive.

How do I come up with such a list? Well, I visited the website for each team and copied their all-time rosters. I then printed them off and am in the arduous task of visiting the Trading Card Database website, keying in the player's name, and then choosing which one I would like to add to the collection. I've also used COMC for some visuals.

As far as the project names... the Hawks Nest is a bar & grill in Pioneer Square, near Century Link Field. I want to say it was there even back in the team's early days (I seem to remember us walking by it as we attended games at the Kingdome in the late 70s/early-mid 80s). The USS Mariner reference... it was a fixture at the Kingdome from 1982-1989 and sat just beyond the center field wall. The cannon would fire after the National Anthem and after every Mariners home run.

Anyway, that's where I'm at with the collection right now. I still have some player collections I'm working on, too. I'm in the middle of creating spreadsheets that will serve as a checklist for those I have and a 'want list' for those still in need. I'll have them up on the blog soon, hopefully.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about Scentsy. Best of luck to your wife. And with your new projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your all-time roster project! I've considering doing it for the Mariners but it's too big of a task to take on at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going through a reevaluation phase as a collector myself. Best of luck on the Seahawks & Mariners team projects. One of these days I'd love to start team binders too. But instead of one card per player, I was going to focus on Pro Bowlers & fan favorites and do 9-pocket pages dedicated to a specific player. Not sure if it'll ever happen. By the way... I'm a huge Seahawks fan... and have a ton of cards. If you email me a list of the players you're missing, I can go through my stacks and try to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a cool idea, as well. Hadn't thought of a 9-pocket page dedicated to a player. Yeah, I'll get that list to you one of these days once I finish it. Thanks!

      Delete