Thursday, October 12, 2017

Fired Up!

Collectors have been pretty fired up the past few days regarding Topps Fire, the Target-exclusive featuring the artwork of Tyson Beck. I haven't bought any, nor have I seen any in-hand, but from what I've seen online, it's a product that I will pass on, should I see any in the retailer. I will, however, probably try to get the Griffey, Randy Johnson and King Felix singles.


What's getting hobbyists all fired up? Well, there are those who were upset that it was released as a retail-only product that dried up quickly and showed up online at inflated prices. Others, who were able to stumble upon blasters, were left feeling a bit burned. Me? I'm fired up for something else hobby-related.

Having neglected the COMC cart that held about two dozen cards for a while, I finally decided it was time to pull the trigger on the purchase. The cards, of which about 15 were of players I collect, while the other ten or so are for the all-time roster projects, showed up earlier this week.




I prefer my art-inspired cards to be of the Upper Deck Masterpieces and Topps Turkey-Red kind. The Masterpieces set... one of the most beautiful modern day sets. And this Felix card is one of my favorites in my collection. As far as the Turkey Red, I prefer this exclusive (albeit, online exclusive) to the Target one.





While some collectors get excited about cards from the '70s (or any other decade from the '50s through the '80s), I get excited about cards from the '90s. Particularly those from the 'etched foil' variety. Walter Jones... cards of this HOFer seem to be much more difficult to find than many of his contemporaries. Many of Griffey's insert cards from this decade still seem to be in demand. I suspect they will continue to be sought after for some time still.









Thankfully there are still many inserts of the Kid that are within my budget. No way am I  taking out a second mortgage to finance a collection.




1991 Fleer= gross   1991 Kenner Starting Lineup Cards= glorious









Stripes on the 1994 Collector's Choice set > stripes on the '89 Fleer set. Maybe Fleer shouldn't have gone with gray?






And finally, a card- and an insert set- that leaves you smiling. 





And I'm going to leave you with a video from Powerhouse Pat






1 comment: