Saturday, May 1, 2010

Smoke 'Em If You've Got 'Em, Jim


The original "smoking man"-Detroit Tiger manager Jim Leyland- is known for his love of cigarettes, and as of today, May 1st, he will no longer be able to smoke at the Tigers home field. That's because a new Michigan law goes into effect today that bans smoking from public places, effectually "snuffing out" the habit of Leyland lightin' up in the dugout during Detroit games. While I don't watch many Tiger games, it is almost like the end of an era as I vividly remember the days when the Braves and Leyland's-then Pittsburgh Pirates would battle it out for the NL Pennant. And just as surely as pitching coach Leo Mazzone would start his trademark rocking motions, so too would would the camera catch Leyland lighting up. Aahh...I can almost smell the smoke now...(cough, cough)








Anyhows, I hear so much talk about how card companies need to do something innovative- and I think I've got an original idea: In honor of Jim Leyland, I would like to suggest a game-smoked cigarette butt of Leyland inserted into a pack. Wouldn't that be ironic? Having ciggies in packs of baseball cards, where the cards were one time inserted into packs of cigarettes? It would be as Yogi Berra once said, "it's like deja-vu all over again."

No comments:

Post a Comment