Saturday, June 5, 2010

2010 Bowman Blaster Break

My daughter and I were at Target this afternoon, shopping for my wife's birthday, when I heard a box of cards calling my name. As I began scanning the shelf that holds the blasters, I located it: the sole box of 2010 Bowman baseball. Knowing the odds of hitting anything big were just about nil, I still couldn't pass up the dang thing. I've been telling myself I wasn't going to buy any packs- my interest in Bowman has really waned over the years. Each year it's the same thing and they've gotten to be really boring. And if not for the Strasburg's, I really don't think this set would even be relevant. That being said, I'm still a sucker for that possibility of getting something good.

Pack #1
#216 Eric Hacker- RC
#145 David Wright
#114 Chris Tillman
#8 Scott Baker
Alex Rodriguez 1992 Bowman Throwbacks #BT3












I really like this set. Judging from the negative reaction I've heard about the Topps 2 Vintage Legends (which I also love), this may not be well received by collectors either.




#BP61 Josh Donaldson
#BP84 Yowill Espinal
#BCP110 D.J. LeMahieu
#BCP57 John Lamb
#166 Brian McCann- Gold (Nice...A Bravo!)

Pack #2
#218 Dustin Richardson
#31 Jhoulys Chacin
#96 Tim Hudson

- I know this is nothing new, that Topps was guilty of this 40+ years ago, but c'mon! With all the photo's on file in this day and age, you mean to tell me that you use the same photo as the 2010 Topps Hudson card?!



#BCP49 Brian Baisley
#BCP46 Abner Abreu
Bowman Expectations #BE40 Matt Garza/Jeremy Hellickson
Topps 100 #TP56 Jarrod Parker
#BP82 Jacob Elmore
#BP67 Evan Anundsen
#62 Christian Guzman-Gold

Pack #3
#74 Kosuke Fukudome
#137 Delmon Young
#108 Lance Berkman
#71 Yovani Gallardo
#BCP37 Mitch Moreland
#BCP23 Alexander Torres
1992 Bowman Throwbacks #BT10 Matt Cain
#BP48 Simon Castro
#BP91 Nolan Arenado
#76 Michael Young-Gold
*Checklist-
Will someone please tell me why Topps doesn't include their Topps Attax cards in Series 2 as an extra card (as they did with this checklist), instead of being counted as one of the 10 cards in their pack?

Pack #4
#62 Christian Guzman
#95 Victor Martinez


This is a great shot! I can't remember seeing a better photo of the ball coming off of a player's bat.

#210 Tyler Flowers-RC I really hope this kid gets his confidence back behind the plate! Another former Braves farmhand.

#12 Jose Reyes

#BCP12 Bo Bowman-Great name for a guy included in the set. Even if he was the worst player in the minors, he would still have to be included in the Bowman set!

#USA18-BC14 Brian Ragira
Topps 100 #TP44 Felix Doubront

#BP10 Aroldis Chapman- While it's not a Chrome card (or the Strasburg), I'll still take it. Haven't heard much about him lately...

#BP3 Cole McCurry
#144 Alex Rios-Gold

Pack #5
#15 Ubaldo Jimenez
#144 Alex Rios

#160 Roy Halladay- hmm...two of the first three cards are of pitchers who have thrown no-no's this year (one a perfect game). Can't say that's ever happened to me before!

#204 Eric Young Jr.-RC
#BCP2 Melky Mesa

#BCP69 C.J. Retherford- Purple Refractor #698/999
Are you serious? The one card in the blaster that might have some kind of value, and I get one with this bad of centering?


1992 Bowman Throwbacks #BT26 Josh Beckett
#BP34 Scott Shaw
#BP26 Cody Satterwhite
#148 Hideki Matsui-Gold

Pack #6
#5 Zack Greinke
#60 Ian Kinsler
#150 Miguel Tajada
#BCP19 Tyson Gillies
#BCP25 Pedro Florimon
Bowman Expectations #BE10 Ryan Braun/Mat Gamel
Topps 100 #TP36 Chris Withrow
#BP92 Rex Brothers
#BP40 Domingo Santana
#15 Ubaldo Jimenez-Gold

Pack #7
#101 Jorge Posada
#214 Daniel McCutchen-RC
#83 Jimmy Rollins
#16 Jason Kubel
#BCP44 Allan Dykstra
#BCP36 Trevor May
1992 Bowman Throwbacks #BT34 Jorge Posada

#BP105 Julio Teheran- an absolute STUD! This kid may very well one day anchor the Braves staff!

#BP98 Alexia Amarista
#153 Max Scherzer-Gold

Last, but not least...Pack #8
#21 Luke Hochevar
#58 Johnny Cueto
#207 Brent Dlugach
#55 Matt Holliday
#BCP56 Rolando Gomez

#USA18-BC3 Garin Cecchini- I think these Team USA cards are one of the few bright spots in the set. Glad to see Team USA cards are back with Topps. Hopefully he can come back strong from his torn ACL.

Topps 100 #TP25 Jake Arrieta
#BP71 Bo Greenwell

#BP86 Michael Wing- Dear Topps: Please, please stop including guys in your Prospect set whose future is seen as a "promising utilityman."
#5 Zack Greinke-Gold

Well, after breaking this box, my thoughts on Bowman were confirmed: If I feel like I must have some of this product, I would be better off just buying the singles and forgoing purchasing any packs or boxes. Same old crap, year after year. Hopefully next year Topps will shed the black borders with red, blue, and/or green frames. Better yet, just make it a Chrome Prospects product only.

2 comments:

  1. If you look closer at the Hudsons, they are two different pictures - check out the glove, the lack of yellow in the Bowman background and the fact that he shows some tooth in the Topps card, too.

    And rumor is Chapman is learning how to actually "pitch" as he went seven strong innings in his last outing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you're right; I didn't notice the teeth, nor the glove position. At first glance the gloves looked to be in the same position. The background I thought might have been altered a little bit, but mabey not. Good eye!

    ReplyDelete