Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Kid Retires


The Kid's final at bat of his great career. Monday, May 31, 2010.

Shocked! That is the only word, other than perhaps saddened, to describe the feelings going through me a few minutes ago as I learned that Ken Griffey Jr. has retired. You knew it was coming, with the season he was having and the injuries he's endured throughout the years. But still...

I can't help but feel incredibly blessed to have watched him over the years, and even more so in saying that we were at the Twins/Marinier's game on Monday night when Jr. had his final at-bat. With Seattle trailing late in the game, we were tempted to leave and beat the traffic, so that we could get back to our hotel at a decent hour. We were leaving Tuesday morning, and I didn't want to face an 8+ hr drive back home on little rest. However, I had this hope that somehow The Kid would make it into the game. I knew that this would be my only chance to ever witness one of baseball's greats live, and that is what led me to wait it out. Yes, my daughter was squirrly, wanting to leave- but thankfully we hung around for the final out. With Josh Wilson (the tying run) on first base and no outs, Griffey came to the plate-his first appearance in eight games. I was disappointed when he hit a weak ground ball that appeared to be a double play ball, but first baseman Justin Morneau couldn't field the short hop and Griffey was safe at first. Not really an ideal final at bat for such an illustrious career. But you know what? Selfishly, I don't really care. I will remember Junior for his smile, his sweet swing, his amazing defense, and scoring on Edgar Martinez' single in the bottom of the 11th to beat the Yankees and win the 1995 AL Divsional series.

No comments:

Post a Comment