Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Cards I'm Thankful For, Pt. 2

In picking 9 cards that I'm thankful for, I didn't make the choices based upon monetary value-rather, each card has its own story.


Card #6
1964 Topps #9 N.L. Home Run Leaders
It's been nearly one year since I re-entered the hobby and this was my first purchase. I picked this one up primarily because of Hammerin' Hank, but I think it's a good investment anytime you can get a card with four Hall of Famers on it. What's interesting about the back of this card is that it features not only a list of the home run leaders, but it also contains a column with the leaders in grand slams for the '63 season.




Card #5
1989 Topps #382 John Smoltz (RC) autographed


Picking a favorite from the vaunted Braves staff of the 90s is no easy task. Each of the big three brings something different to the table (or, mound), and I really don't have a favorite among them (although a young Steve Avery might have been #1). So- my choice of Smoltz here is based upon it being an autographed rookie card that I purchased off of one of the home-shopping network type programs back in 1992. This one came in a really thick lucite holder, and was put out by the Score Board, Inc. Unfortunately, the signature has faded over the years-but it still has a place at #5.






Card #4

1989 Topps Traded #41T Ken Griffey Jr.
Okay, so it's not THE Rookie Card of the Kid. I sold mine long ago, when it was pulling in three figures. This one, however, is still an undervalued card, in my opinion, and no player better represents this generation of ball players. The Upper Deck card may be more iconic, but this shot of Junior is a classic pose; it's a throwback, and would look good on, say, a 1965 Topps card.

1 comment:

  1. I love these posts... there's nothing better than reading about cards that mean something to collectors. By the way... thanks for sharing the 63 HR leaders card... that's now on my want list. Simply amazing that such an old card with 4 HOFer's can be picked up for the price of a pack of cards.

    I look forward to seeing your top 3 cards!

    ReplyDelete