Monday, November 22, 2010

Cards I'm Thankful For, Pt.1

One of the things my wife and I have sought to instill in our children is an "attitude of gratitude." All we have been blessed with is a gift of God, and therefore we ought to give thanks for even the smallest of things. And so, with our nation celebrating Thanksgiving this week, I thought it would be fun to come up with a list of 9 cards that I'm particularly thankful for. In the grand scope of things, collecting sports cards is pretty insignificant-but it has been, and continues to be, a hobby that one can enjoy and escape the more significant things in life-even if it is only for a little while. Why 9? Well, I'm borrowing it from MLB Networks Prime 9 show: It's a baseball number- 9 Players, 9 Innings.

~Honorable Mention~
1953 Bowman color #99 Warren Spahn
Forgive me for adding a tenth card- let's just say we're going extra innings. I added this as an "Honorable Mention" because I no longer own a '53 Spahn. I did at one time-back when I was a bachelor (although it wasn't this copy- I found this card on the PSA Website). The '53 Bowman colors are hands down the most beautiful set ever produced, in my opinion, and the Spahn was the jewel of my collection. However, when my wife and I got engaged, I sold off my collection of vintage Braves to help finance the wedding. Sigh.








CARD #9
2001 Topps Heritage #52 Chipper Jones
Mr Brave. I picked this card because it reminds me-in some esoteric way- of the 1952 Topps card of Chipper's hero, Mickey Mantle. Let's connect the dots: Chipper is featured on card #52, which happens to be the year Topps produced the most sought after post-war card (of a player who, again, was Chippers idol). Topps also portrays Chipper with a glance in the distance, somewhat similar to Mantle's (although Jones' is more to the horizon, rather than to the heavens). Coincidence? I think not. #conspiracytheory













Card #8
2001 Topps Traded #T247 Albert Pujols

It may not be his most sought-after card from his rookie season; but never-the-less, it's his Topps Rookie Card. And that makes it something special, because Phat Albert is a once in a generation talent.




Card #7
1970 Topps #189 Thurman Munson/David McDonald

The Captain. I know, it's the Yankees- but Munson was something special. What so many fans loved about Munson was his blue collar work ethic, as well as his gruff-but lovable- disposition. I still remember where I was when I heard of his death: at an Angels/A's game on August 6-the day of Munson's funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment