Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Maddux Milestones Win #1

1993 Topps Traded #54T Greg Maddux

At one time I had far more cards of Greg Maddux in my collection than I currently have. When I got out of collecting around 2002 or so, the only items I kept were my Braves base Topps cards, with everything else being dumped as a lot. Thus, I wasn't left with very many cards of the Professor. I'm hoping to change that, though, as I am going to start picking up some (hopefully as large lots for cheap on the 'Bay). My goal is to get one for each of the 355 wins that Maddux picked up over the course of his illustrious career. Might do the same for each of Chipper's home runs; would choose Eddie Mathews, but I don't think he has that many cards.

Anyways, back to the Professor. Maddux made his major league debut on September 2, 1986 as a twenty-year old. He pitched one inning of relief and took the loss that day against the Astros-the first of only four games in which the future hall of famer would pitch out of the bullpen. Entering the tied game in the top of the 18th inning, Greg got Craig Reynolds to ground out to second base to start off the inning. The second hitter, Billy Hatcher, took Maddux deep for the go-ahead (and game-winning) home run. Five days later, he picked up a win in his next appearance-which also happened to be his first start. Pitching in Cincinnati on September 7th, Greg went the distance, allowing 3 earned runs on 11 hits, while picking up the first of 355 wins. I don't have the cash to pick up one of Mad Dog's minor league cards from 1986, and couldn't find a good color photo to create one. So, that left me with using my favorite Maddux card for his first career win. Why a base Topps? Well, it was the first card from the base Topps (my fave cards to collect) featuring Maddux in a Braves uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment