Saturday, December 17, 2011

December 2011 Card Show #1


Being the week before Christmas must mean that it's time for our quarterly card show. That's right, instead of shopping for gifts for my wife, I spent the morning shopping for myself. Thankfully, I took care of my Christmas shopping already so I needn't feel guilty. On to some of the purchases...


1969 Topps Deckle Edge #17 Felipe Alou
This is only the second Deckle Edge I have ever owned. As a kid, my aunt gave me one of Rod Carew; I no longer have it, but you can't forget the scallop-like sides of the cards. I think my wife and daughter have a pair of scissors for doing scrap booking that will give you the same effect. Perhaps I should try it out on a cheap common card. Anyways, this card is from my birth year, so I'm not old enough to remember Felipe as a player. Always respected the man as a manager, and his kid was one of my favorite players while he was active.

1963 Post Cereal #157 Tony Cloninger
What seemed to be a common practice in my childhood (as well as before and after), this 'value added' feature isn't so common anymore. I can't recall the last time I saw a cereal product, cheese, pizza, etc. offer a trading card either inside of the box or as part of the box-as these Post Cereal cards were. It's too bad. You want to introduce kids to cards? Do this again, and forget about the stupid Topps Attax- type of garbage. You hear me, Topps? If you can't do it right, then maybe someone else should.

No comments:

Post a Comment