Friday, January 27, 2012

Jason Heyward Topps Factory Set Card

"Through the mansions of fear, through the mansions of pain, I see my daddy walking through them factory gates in the rain. Factory takes his hearing, factory gives him life. The working, the working, just the working life."~ Bruce Springsteen's "The Factory"


2010 Topps Factory #RC1
   When I hear the word "factory", my first thoughts are manufacturing and production. It's blue-collar. It's union workers. It's what many believe has made our country so great. It's also much like baseball: something that at one time seemed to have cried out, "America!"- only to see the number of its workers decline at a rate that parallels the loss of interest in our national pastime. At least the number of jobs in baseball doesn't change. Unless it's September 1st.


  While searching eBay recently, I came across this "Factory Set Limited Edition" card of JHey from the 2010 Topps set. Having not yet seen it, I was pleasantly surprised and decided it was a "must have" for my collection. Yeah, I know, it's yet another gimmick to get the collector to purchase the factory set. We already have the rainbow variety parallels, the Chrome cards that feature a different photo than the base, the Opening Day knock-offs, pie-in-the-face, team set issues, and countless others. Doesn't matter. As a consumer I am given a choice, and I more often than not will chose a piece of cardboard that is manufactured here in the States.


   As we head into the 2012 season, a key to the Braves success will be dependent upon how #22 performs. The Braves had an anemic offense last season, so it's imperative that Heyward regain the stroke that gave the team and us fans hope for the future during his rookie season. Can he produce like he did during his rookie season, or, like the American Factory worker, will he be expendable? 

No comments:

Post a Comment