Sunday, January 22, 2012

Yankee Face Dances

Sticking with The Who theme that I began yesterday, I decided to re-create the 1981 Face Dances album cover. While I began with the idea of using players from various teams-with Don Mossi (in Townsend's place) as my first subject- I decided to do a Yankee collage. I don't know if there's a baseball team that more closely resembles The Who. Brash, angry, excess- just a few adjectives that describes each. Passing on Mossi, I chose Yogi for obvious reasons: the nose and ears. Yogi's nose isn't as noticeable as Pete Townsend's, but it does cry out 'here I am.' Billy Martin as Daltrey fit because of their small stature, fiery tempers (Roger liked to throw down with his 'mates, much like Martin), and being the front man with their respective groups. I chose Reggie because his signing wasn't a popular choice with Martin, much like Daltrey opposed the band adding Kenny Jones as Keith Moon's replacement. Jones, by the way, had been a member of a group of all-stars (Faces) at one time. Of course Reggie was a part of the Oakland A's dynasty which featured many all-stars of their own. The Jones picture with the "3" (second to left on bottom row) was perfect for the '78 World Series Highlights card which honored Reggie's 3 home-runs in game six.  A Yankee tribute wouldn't be complete without Mickey Mantle, who-like John Entwistle- has influenced countless athletes and musicians. Both were also known to live a fast and hard lifestyle, which contributed to each of their early deaths.

1 comment:

  1. I've been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this blog. Thanks , I will try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your website?
    Gallium Indium Nitride 365 Nm Uv LED Ultra Violet 9 LED 3 AAA Blacklight Flashlight By Ledwholesalers, 7301uv365

    ReplyDelete