Friday, February 3, 2012

Food-Issue Friday: 5 Dale Murphy Drakes Cakes

  sanjosefuji commented last week that his favorite food-issue cards are the Kellogg's cards from the 70s and 80s, so I though what better set to feature this week than a Kellogg's Dale Murphy. When I went to pull one to scan I was shocked to discover I don't have one! As one who considers himself a Murphy collector, I am ashamed to admit that there's not one of those in my collection. I focused on Murph odd-ball stuff during one of my collecting seasons and thought I had most of the more common issues. I guess I don't.

 Growing up in the west, I have never been familiar with Drake Cakes, which are (according to the hostess website) found in the northeastern U.S. Well, I guess I have heard of Ring-Dings and Yodels- but was never aware that they were part of the Drakes company. Neither did I know that they are a Hostess brand. From 1981 until 1988, the food company issued  these cards in their snacks. And while they billed the set as "Drake's Big Hitters" , the sets included pitchers as well as hitters. While I like the front of each year, there's nothing that really distinguishes them from the myriad of stuff from that same time period. In fact, the backs in the '83-'85 sets resemble the backs of the regular Topps base sets from those same years. The '86 & '88 card backs are different and show no indications of being a Topps product. Presumably the '87 backs are the same as the two it was sandwiched in between. I don't have the '87 release, nor the '81 & '82. Yet three more cards to add to my wantlist.

 

1 comment:

  1. I found a few of these sets on eBay... looks like a few were distributed in factory set form too (you can see pictures of 1983, 1984, and 1985 boxes online). Best of luck in your hunt for these Drakes food issues!

    ReplyDelete