Saturday, March 17, 2012

Card Show Alternatives

Until about four days ago I was really looking forward to our quarterly card show- that is until I realized that there was a work day scheduled for today at the private school our kids attend. They're in the process of a remodel/addition and were in need of helpers. Lots of cleaning and moving was involved. What to do?

  I decided to put the needs of others before my own desires, and have no regrets-other than some aching muscles. When I got home, there was a package in the mail from Check Out My Cards-which helped with missing out on the show. Plus, I still have some funds in my paypal account. I'll do some more 'shopping' tonight.

 Here's a few of the cards that were in the mail today.

2003 Topps Heritage "Grandstand Glory" #GG-EM Eddie Mathews
During his career, the Hall of Fame third baseman played in 963 games at Milwaukee's old County Stadium-in which he hit .268/.375/.501, sported a .876OPS, 211 HR, 591 RBI, and 129 2B.


2008 Topps Heritage "Then & Now" #TN1 Eddie Mathews & Alex Rodriguez
Today's pop quiz: Which third baseman has the most home runs? If you answered A-Fraud, you're wrong. While playing the third base position, Mathews hit 450 home runs during his career. A-Roid- only 269 of his career homers have come from the hot corner.

2008 Topps Heritage "Baseball Flashbacks" #BF10 Eddie Mathews
This flashback cards remembers Mathews' two-run homer to give the Braves the lead (and ultimately, the victory) over Don Newcombe and the Reds. Newcombe, the NL Rookie of the Year in 1949 and 1956 NL Cy Young Award Winner & NL MVP, didn't have much success against the Braves star during his career. Mathews hit .307 with 9 HR and 16 RBI in 75 at-bats against Nuke.


1994 Topps #316 Prospects: Ogea, Brumley, Michalak, Wade
1995 Topps #316 Prospects: Wade, Acevedo, Arrandale, Priest
1997 Topps #239 Jermaine Dye, #455 Andruw Jones



I've been looking for these four cards for some time now- they are four of only a handful of post-'77 Topps base cards that I'm needing for my team sets.

 Terrell  Wade was a guy that I thought was going to be the next great stud on that vaunted pitching staff. While he didn't have a horrible career, he certainly didn't meet expectations that many of us had for him (isn't that usually the case?). He appeared in 59 regular season games for Atlanta, 17 of which were starts. Tampa Bay chose him in the 1997 expansion draft, and he made 2 major league appearances for them in '98-the last two games of his major league career.

No comments:

Post a Comment