Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Card Show 1st

"Let me tell you how it will be, there's one for you, nineteen for me. Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman.
Should five per cent appear too small, be thankful I don't take it all. Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman.
If you drive a car, I'll tax the street. If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat. If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat. If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.
Cause I'm the taxman. Yeah, I'm the taxman. Don't ask me what I want it for, if you don't want to pay some more. Cause I'm the taxman, Yeah-I'm the taxman.
Now my advice for those who die, declare the pennies on your eyes. Cause I'm the taxman. Yeah, I'm the taxman. 
And you're working for no one but me!"~ The Beatles' "Taxman"

For over twenty years I have been attending, or have set up and sold at, card shows- and I can honestly say that yesterday marked the first time that I have seen people from the State Tax Commission show up and make their presence known. 

  I hadn't been at the show for very long before the promoter called out for everyone's attention. He then pointed out two representatives from the Idaho State Tax Commission, and notified all the dealers that the tax folks would be passing out forms, which would need to be returned to him (the promoter) by the end of the day. If they didn't, he could go to jail, he said.

 "Who cares!" one guy yelled out. 

  We should, I guess, as the promoter promised there would be no more shows-should he go to jail.

  "That's bull****", one fellow next to me kept repeating, ad nauseam. 

  "Total sales for today: 0," said I to the dealer whose table I was standing at during this time.

I guess revenue is still down, so it's time to go after the little guys. Bull****, indeed.

Okay, on with the show, pt. 1


1978 Topps #703 Rookie Pitchers
I actually have this card in my '78 set, but needed it for my Braves team set. 




1959 Topps #157 Felix Mantilla and #165 Bill Bruton
50 cents each for two speedsters. 


1958 Topps #325 Joe Adcock
Poor guy was overshadowed by Aaron and Mathews all those years in Milwaukee; great power hitter, though.


1969 Topps #100 Hank Aaron
A vintage Aaron card for $10?! Well, okay! Been wanting my 'birth-year' card of the Hammer, and now it's mine. All mine! Mwahahahhaahha.


2012 Topps #TT-10 Timeless Talents Ryne Sandberg/Dan Uggla
At $1, I grossly overpaid for this one, but needed it for my Braves team set. I watched Ryno on WGN all those years, and don't remember him enduring such great funks as the ones Uggla has made us fans suffer through for the better part of two seasons. 'Timeless Talent'? How about 'Tumultuous Tank-Job' for the Braves second baseman?

1 comment:

  1. Nice finds... Love that Jack Morris rookie card and the Aaron is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete