Saturday, February 2, 2013

2013 Chops Martin Prado

Congratulations to Martin Prado, who signed a four-year, $40 million contract extension with Arizona on Thursday. I really hope that he does well for Arizona and can be the player for them that he was in Atlanta.

I'm a little late to the game, but I'll share my views on the deal that sent Prado to the desert. As much as I love Martin's gritty determination, his leadership, and his ability to play multiple positions, I thought it was a deal that had to be done. After talks with his agent went nowhere, the Braves could see that they weren't going to be able to resign him for what they felt was a reasonable offer. And rather risk losing him to free-agency, the organization pulled off what I believe to be a coup. Three years of a player who hasn't even hit his prime is one thing, but one that player happens to be an impact-type of guy, it's really a no-brainer.

People can say what they want about Justin Upton, but this is a guy who I don't believe would ever be able to please manager Kirk Gibson or GM Kevin Towers. He's just not their type of player. You know- a gritty player who displays an outward intensity. A grinder, some might call them. And Martin Prado is one of those guys.

I haven't watched either Upton much. But what I have seen, they remind me of another player who used to patrol the outfield for the Braves: Andruw Jones. Like Jones, the Upton brothers are so naturally gifted that they often do things so easily that it looks like they're not putting forth any kind of effort. 


No comments:

Post a Comment