Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Monday's Marvelous Mail Day: Book Ends!

Rumors and speculation never die an easy death. Baseball fans, and especially Braves fans, began hearing it last summer: even though he announced that 2012 would be his final MLB season, Chipper Jones will come back and play for another team. Probably an A.L. team. You know, what with the DH and all.

While the rumors were fairly quiet during the off-season, they started back up when Chipper showed up at Braves camp earlier this spring. He can't remain retired. He's getting itchy. It's Brett Favre all over again.

And then it started all over again yesterday. The New York Times reported that Brian Cashman would love to have Larry on the team. Others took the story and ran- ESPN had something on their site, leading a co-worker of mine (Yankee fan) to try and convince me it was a done deal. I heard elsewhere that Texas was going to sign him. Okay, whatever.

Well- Larry took to the 'twitta to set the story straight:




After wiping the sweat off my brow, I headed home for lunch- where there there four packages waiting for me. One of the pieces is something I'll feature this Friday on the Food-Issue feature. Another is one I'll post on an upcoming Ink post, but the other two contained new Chipper inserts.

2013 Topps Commemorative Patch Chipper Jones #RCP-20
Of all the different manu-patch concepts, this one is, by far, my favorite. Nothing I'd try to put together as a set, but for a team or player collector...cha-ching!















2013 Topps Commemorative Patch Chipper Jones #CP-20


Okay- I'll admit I love this card. I love the player. I love the patch- so much so that I mocked up a manu-patch featuring the Chipper retirement patch for my 2013 Chops set. And then I saw this-way to go Topps, way to steal my thunder!




1 comment:

  1. I got that little ESPN notice on my phone yesterday about the Yankees looking to entice Chipper to put on pinstripes and I just about fell out. Thankfully he has cleared the air and we all can move on.

    Love the manu patch card...I must seek one out now!

    ReplyDelete